James R. Van Horne, MD
Dr. Van Horne was raised on the central California coast he started out in the theatre arts and ended up in the hard sciences including research in weed science, DNA repair, AIDS and herpes viruses of livestock. Along the way he played rugby, wrote manuals for computer software, sold computer software and tended bar. While working in an AIDs clinic, he discovered he wanted to go to medical school and ended up on the east coast. After his fellowship training at Harvard, he and his family returned to the west moving to southern Oregon in the mid 1990s. Dr. Van Horne and his wife raised 3 wonderful children in Grants Pass.
Dr. Van Horne is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in outpatient hip and knee replacements. His goal is to allow patients to return safely to the comfort of their own home the day of surgery, and he focuses on reducing surgical risks with rapid recovery and return to activities/work. An individualized multi-modal pain control programs allows patients to stop narcotics 2-14 days after surgery. Dr. Van Horne perfroms 400 to 500 joint replacements each year and been performing these surgeries for 20+ years. He helps patients to prepare themselves for successful surgery by directing them to optimize their health, physical status and home/social status.
- UC Berkeley, Biophysics, BA
- UC Davis, Veterinary Virology. Master's Program
- Drexelll lahnemann, Medical School. MD.
- Albany Medical Center, Albany, Residency Orthopaedic Surgery
- Harvard Medical School of Medicine, Hip and Knee Replacement Fellowship
Certifications & Professional Affiliations
- Fellow - American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Fellow - American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Fellow - International Congress Joint Reconstruction
- Member - American Medical Association
Honors & Awards
- His joint replacement program has made his hospital the #1 hospital in Oregon and one of the top 100 hospitals in the country (2015, 2016, & 2017) for knee and hip replacements.
- His patient experience 1/3 the rate of complications of other surgeons.
- He is the "safest" joint surgeon in Oregon.
- He is ranked one of the "Top 10 Physicians" in Oregon.
Community Involvement & Personal Activities
- Forestry and wildemess
- Hiking and fishing
- Wine making