Robert T. Bents, MD
Dr. Bents was born and raised in Oregon. Following his education and early career he returned to Oregon in 2004 and established himself as one of the premier orthopedic surgeons in Southern Oregon.
Using the most modern and minimally invasive techniques, Dr. Bents specializes in arthroscopic and reconstructive shoulder and knee surgeries. He also performs arthroscopy of the hip, ankle and wrist. Dr. Bents was Board Certified in 1999 and holds a Subspecialty Certificate in Sports Medicine.
At the US Air Force Academy, he was served as the head team physician for several NCAA Division 1 teams and worked closely with the Olympic Training Center and USA Boxing. He continues to serve as the team physician for several local high schools and collegiate boxing events. He performs over 500 surgeries per year and has over 20 years of orthopedic experience.
Dr. Bents has been the Board Chairman of the Grants Pass Surgery Center since 2011. He is actively involved in research and has numerous publications in prestigious journals.
Education & Prior Experience
- Paragon Orthopedic Center, since 2006
- Ashland Orthopedic Associates, 2004 - 2006
- Chief of the Orthopedic Department, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado, 2000 - 2004
- Chief of Orthopedic Surgery, Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 1997 - 2000
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency, Wilford Hall Medical Center, San Antonio, Texas - 1997
- Air Force F-16 Flight Surgeon - Misawa Air Force Base, Japan, 1991 - 1993
- Aerospace Medicine Primary Course, Brooks AFB, Texas, 1991
- Surgical Internship, Oregon Health Sciences University, 1991
- Medical Degree, Oregon Health Sciences University, 1990
- Bachelors Degree, Distinguished Graduate, United States Air Force Academy, 1986
Certifications & Professional Affiliations
- Board Certification - American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Sports Medicine - American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery - 2009
- Fellow since 1999 - American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member - Arthroscopy Association of North America
Community Involvement & Personal Activities
Dr. Bents is an active member of the community and works closely with local athletes and teams. He has a special interest in ACL injury prevention and in working with throwing athletes. He is an avid fisherman and enjoys coaching youth sports teams, playing baseball, snowboarding and camping with his family. Dr. Bents and his wife have 3 children and reside in Grants Pass.