The American Heart Association brings awareness to heart issues every February and Paragon Orthopedic Center would like to increase your awareness of hypertension. What is that you ask? It’s the medical term for high blood pressure. Extra points for you if you knew that! Did you know hypertension increases the risk for heart attacks and strokes? And did you know that heart disease is the leading cause of death in our nation according to the CDC? Here are some more facts that you might find surprising:
- You don’t have to be old to have this problem: nearly one in four adults between the ages of 20-44 has high blood pressure.
- High blood pressure usually does not have symptoms.
- One in three people don’t know they have hypertension.
- Women and African Americans are at higher risk for it.
- You are at higher risk of developing dementia if you have hypertension.
If you would like to read the details about these 5 facts from the CDC, click on the link below. We hope you’ve joined us in the Wall Street Journal step challenge to get healthier. It could also help your blood pressure if you join us to get more in shape. Check our blog from January 21st if you’re interested in joining. It’s not too late, requires no equipment or money, and takes only minutes. No excuses Southern Oregon! Better health equals a better, happier life!